Page City (Arizona)
Page, Arizona, is a small town located on the southwestern edge of Lake Powell, near the Utah/Arizona border. Wahweap Marina (the largest marina on the lake) is just outside of town. Page also provides convenient access to both the north and south rims of Grand Canyon National Park, and to other outstanding recreational areas.
The town began in 1957 as a housing camp for workers building huge Glen Canyon Dam. In 1958, some 24 square miles of Navajo tribal land were exchanged for a larger tract in Utah, and "Government Camp" (later called Page in honor of Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner John C. Page) was born.
During the seven years required to construct the dam, Page was a federal municipality. It became an incorporated town on March 1, 1975, and is now home to more than 9,000 people.
Boating, fishing and other recreational activities immediately became popular on the new lake. It actually took 17 years for Lake Powell to reach "full pool," but the lake was drawing crowds well before it was full. Today some 3 million people visit the lake annually. Page has become a thriving community supporting many businesses involved in on recreation and tourism.
Page offers a full range of services including lodges/motels, restaurants, recreational vehicle dealers, repair shops, rental agencies and guide services.
The City of Page owns a top-rated 18-hole championship golf course (Lake Powell National Golf Course) and a 9-hole golf course (Canyon). Both are very scenic and open for public play at affordable prices.
In recent years canyoneering has become a popular recreational activity. Page is located in the heart of canyon country, close to Antelope Canyon and other popular hiking canyons.
The Navajo Nation is located adjacent to Page. It covers more than 16 million acres (27,000 square miles) and extends into both Utah and New Mexico. Today the Navajo Nation is home to about 200,000 tribal members. Some of the most rugged and starkly beautiful land in America is located on Tribal land south of Lake Powell.
For many centuries the canyons and sandstone cliffs through Glen Canyon and the surrounding area were home to ancient Pueblo people (Anasazi), whose culture encompassed an enormous geographic region known as the Colorado Plateau. Many ancient historic sites are open for public visitation. Old Oraibi, located on the Hopi Indian Reservation southeast of Page, is the oldest continuously inhabited community in the United States. The Hopis consider themselves the direct descendants of these ancient Pueblo people.
|Back to top||Print this page||E-mail this page|