Alta Ski Area
Welcome to Alta, an independently-owned ski area since 1938. Alta is proud to be a ski area and not a ski resort. Nestled at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon deep in the Wasatch mountains, Alta is known around the globe for its powder skiing. With an annual snowfall average of 547” powder days is a way of life here. It’s a magnetic way of life that draws the same employees and guests back to Alta’s community each winter. Come for the skiing. Stay for the skiing.
Alta Ski Area Overview
Alta takes skiing seriously. No frills - just the best snow Utah has to offer! In fact, Alta offers several ski-in ski-out restaurants and a rental shop! Snowboarding is not permitted here.
At Alta, a variety of awesome terrain and snow conditions provide skiing opportunities for every level of skier, including beginners. Families can enjoy the slopes together no matter their ability or expertise. More uniquely, Alta has teamed up with Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort to enable skiers to have access to double the terrain, which means more fun for everyone.
Alta is located 25 miles southeast of Salt Lake City at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon, State Highway 210, approximately 45 minutes from the Salt Lake City International Airport.
At a Glance
• Terrain: 15% Beg., 30% Int., 55% Adv.
• Open 9:15 A.M. — 4:30 P.M.
• Base Elevation: 8,530 ft. (2,600m)
• Summit Elevation: 11,068 ft. (2,600m)
• Skiable Acres: 2,614
• 116+ Runs
• 547" Average Annual Snowfall
• Little Cottonwood Canyon, 45 minutes from Salt Lake City or Park City
Alta Ski Resort Information
Runs: 6 lifts. 116+ runs
Our Favorite Alta Runs
ALBION & SUNNYSIDE LIFTS
- Patsey Marley (Green - Easy)
- Sunnyside (Green - Easy)
- Blue Bell (Blue - Intermediate)
- Vail Ridge (Black Diamond - Technical)
- Sweet N' Easy (Green - Easy)
- Upper Big Dipper (Blue - Intermediate)
- Rock N' Roll (Blue - Intermediate)
- Hammer Head (Black Diamond - Technical)
- Spiney Chutes Area (Black Diamond - Technical)
- Running Dog Nose (Black Diamond - Technical)
- Little Dipper (Blue - Intermediate)
- Devil's Elbow ( Blue - Intermediate)
- Rollercoaster (Blue - Intermediate)
- Extrovert (Black Diamond - Technical)
- Mambo (Blue - Intermediate)
- Ballroom Traverse (Blue - Intermediate)
- Strawberry (Blue - Intermediate)
- Annie's (Black Diamond - Technical)
- Hourglass Chute (Black Diamond - Technical)
- Meadow (Blue - Intermediate)
- Corkscrew (Blue - Intermediate)
- Nina's Curve (Black Diamond - Technical)
- Blitz (Black Diamond - Technical)
- Punch Bowl (Black Diamond - Technical)
Alta Ski Area | Photo Gallery
Skiers on a slope
Alta Ski Area Lodging
ALTA SKI RENTALS
If you're thinking of hauling all of your ski gear onto a plane or in the back of your vehicle, you might want to reconsider all that hassle. Just throw your red one-piece ski suit into your bag, a turtle neck for evenings out, and voila! You're all set to breeze into Salt Lake City without the hassle of bulky boot bags and lost luggage.
But, really. Here's where you can find out how to get all your gear ready and waiting for you. Check out the Alta Ski Shop for all of your rental and retail needs.
FROM SALT LAKE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Head east on I-80 for 2.7 miles.
Then merge onto I-215 to UT-210 E/E Hwy 210/ E Little Cottonwood Road/Little Cottonwood Road. 22.5 miles.
Follow UT-210/Little Cottonwood Road to Alta. 8.5 miles.
Some days you just want a bucket of fries. Other days you resolve for veggies galore. And some nights, you just want something fancy. Oh, well, you can have all of these--even at one sitting if you like. Patio seating too? Absolutely. Breathing mountain air while eating has been proven to help digestion--according to Josh, the Vermont-born-and-raised ski-a-holic that's dishing up your black bean burger. You'll never have to come down off the mountain with all of your yummy options.
ON THE SLOPES
Alta Peruvian Lodge Bar
The Gulch Pub
Rustler Lodge Eagle's Nest
Alta Lodge Dining Room
Alta Peruvian Lodge Dining Room
Alta's Rustler Lodge Dining Room
Shallow Shaft Restaurant
Swen’s Restaurant. Lodge guests and non-lodge guests can dine at Swen’s Restaurant. Reservations are preferred.
Please note - only lodge guests can dine at the Alta Lodge, Alta Rustler Lodge, Alta Peruvian Lodge, and Goldminers Lodge
Don't worry. You have a million lodging options (well, it feels like a million). But you'll want to reserve your favorites early on in the season before someone beats you to the punch and enjoys all of your favorite beds, views, and access.
- Alta Lodge
- Alta Peruvian Lodge
- Alta's Rustler Lodge
- Goldminer's Daughter Lodge
- Snowpine Lodge
salt lake city Weather
Articles & ItinerariesView All
If you are trying to plan a family ski trip visit Utah.com to create the perfect itinerary. Utah has...
Find some of the best restaurants near Utah's ski resorts at Utah.com. Discover amazing food to fini...
Are you learning to ski? Utah is one of the best places for beginner skiers. Read on to find importa...