Relief Society Building
Joseph Smith, founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, organized the female Relief Society in 1842 in Nauvoo, Illinois. Today it is one of the world's oldest and largest women's organizations. It is an integral part of the Church. Its headquarters are located in the Relief Society Building on North Temple Street just northeast of the Salt Lake Temple. It was constructed in 1956 using primarily funds donated by the women of the church, and houses two other church sub-organizations in addition to the Relief Society.
Except for the period between 1844 and 1866 as large bodies of Latter-day Saint pioneers were emigrating from Illinois and other parts of the world to the Salt Lake Valley, during which time the Relief Society did not formally exist, the organization has been a constant force for good in homes and communities by focusing on its motto, "Charity Never Faileth;" members of the Relief Society are encouraged to serve those around them. One of the most important responsibilities of the Relief Society is to ensure peace and happiness in the home, which provides the focus of the public exhibits on display in the Relief Society Building.
Some information courtesy The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.